Learning to See the Forest

Photo courtesy of Megan McLaughlin


Forest (n): 1) a dense growth of trees and underbrush covering a large tract- Merriam-Webster

If you ask anyone what a forest is, you’ll probably get an answer similar to this. And it makes sense: a forest needs to have trees to be a forest. But how much does that leave out, seeing a forest as just trees and brush?

Here’s an idea: get to know a forest. Take it in, gather your first impressions based on sights, smells, sounds, textures. Think you’ve got a handle on it? Good. Now go back to the forest again. This time bring a friend and have them tell you what they see. Do they just want to hunt salamanders under logs? Do they love all the pretty little flowers? Do they look at it from a timbering or management perspective? Bring a photographer, a writer, a botanist, a hunter. No two people will see the exact same forest, and each will bring things that you can learn.

Now don’t get me wrong when I say “learn.” You don’t need to bring someone who can say “That is Polyporus squamosus, an ascomycete also called dryad’s saddle.” (Although if you do, kudos to you both). You just need someone who can say “Holy cow, that’s a big mushroom!” Maybe you go home and look it up. Maybe you don’t. Either way, you’ve experienced it and added another piece to your understanding of that forest.

Red eft. Photo courtesy of Mandy Linn Smith.

Got kids? Turn them loose. See what they see. Let them ask questions you don’t know the answer to. Ask questions back. Some of my best and earliest memories are forest exploration. And now those questions that I asked have some answers. I can identify trees and frogs and salamanders. I was blessed with four people who taught me to see the forest from a number of different perspectives at an early age. I am perpetually grateful for that and I think of each of them every time I enter a stand.

This summer I’m adding even more perspectives. I’m working as a field assistant researching understory plants and pollinators. At least three more perspectives: insects, understory plants, and research! I find myself asking more questions and learning new things every day. It excites me, drawing connections between old and new. I want to see everything, know everything, question everything, study everything, until I feel that I can (at least 50% confidently) say “This is a forest. Look at the details. Look at what there is to learn. Look at the memories I’ve made here and things I’ve discovered. Your definition doesn’t do it justice. Maybe no definition will.”

Dwarf ginseng (I think?).


This is my forest path, meandering as I stop to inspect and question and imagine. I hope that yours will be as fruitful.

All the best,
Kelsey

No comments